Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


I was recently at my public library when I saw that they had a DVD version of “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas”. As one of the books that I most recently finished, I decided to take it out and see what it was like.

The camera work in it was absolutely stunning. The clarity of the scenes and the lighting was great. I was wondering how they were going to portray Bruno’s innocence and I believe that they did so quite accurately. I was also impressed with some of the symbolism that they added with the use of the camera shots such as Gretel’s dolls all lying naked in a heap in the basement, were utterly profound. The film was so well done in fact, that I was a little traumatized over the whole thing in the end, the actions and scenes being so vivid and horrifying.

If you haven’t read this book please do take a look at it. It may seem like a book for children but it’s definitely complex and full of deeper meaning. It brings into light the controversy and undeniable question that people do deny the holocaust and that terrible events such as these can and do happen everyday in other parts of the world.

Definitely worth your time, here’s a link to the imbd site if you want to get more info on the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914798/

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment